City Resources Frequently Asked Questions

We know you have questions about who, what, where, and how to get things done in the city of Providence. So we’ve compiled a list of the most common questions with answers to help our constituents get stuff done! And if you have questions that aren’t on this list, check out the the Mayor’s City Serivces Site online (or dial 311), where you can submit requests, and find out which city department or division can help you.

How do I request a street sign replacement?

The best way to get a sign replaced/repaired is to create an account online for the City’s 311 system.  Once there, you can submit a request to have a street sign replaced by providing information on the location and type of sign needing replacing.

How do I request a street closing?

You must complete an application for a closing permit for the corresponding street.  Guidelines can be found at the Traffic Engineering Division.  The application must be submitted 10 days before the date of the requested closure. Forms must be submitted to:

Traffic Engineering
60 Ernest Street
Providence, RI 02905

How do I register to vote?

You can register online at the Rhode Island Voter Information Center, or you can complete a voter registration form and mail or deliver it to:

Board of Canvassers
25 Dorrance Street
Providence, RI 02903

How do I pay a parking ticket?

All parking tickets are paid at the Providence Municipal Court.  You have three options:

The Municipal Court is located in the Providence Police Department located at:

325 Washington Street
Providence, RI 02903

How do I obtain a birth, marriage or death certificate?

The Office of Vital Records/Registrar maintains all records on births, deaths, and marriages within the City of Providence. You can find find links to the corresponding vital record certificates here.  Completed forms need to be returned to:

Office of Vital Records
25 Dorrance Street
Providence, RI 02903

How do I get a dumpster for temporary debris removal?

You’ll need an application from the Department of Public Works.  They will also provide a list of approved contractors who will provide the dumpster.  Call the office to get the latest information on permit fees. Phone: 401.467.7950

How do I file a claim?

If you want to file a claim against the city of Providence for injury or damage, you must complete and submit the appropriate claim forms to the City Clerk’s office. You can mail or submit forms to:

City Clerk
25 Dorrance Street, 3rd Fl
Providence, RI 02903

How can I request to have a sewer drain cleaned?

If a you have sewer drain that is backed up or clogged, access the Providence 311 site, create an account, and provide information about a sewer backup. You’ll also need to provide the exact street location (and closest intersection) of the backup.

How can I request sidewalk repair?

The Division of Public Works oversees sidewalk repairs in the city of Providence.  You can use the 311 site to submit a request online for a sidewalk repair, you’ll need to provide specifics for the location of the repair needed.  Or you can contact the office directly at 401.467.7950.

How can I request to have a curbside tree trimmed or removed?

Read about the policies and request an inspection for tree service information with the Providence Parks Forestry Department. You can also submit information about a tree that needs trimming or removal on the Providence 311 site.

I need to replace or request a recycling bin, who do I contact?

Contact the Public Works Department, Environmental Division. You can also visit the office at:

700 Allens Avenue
Providence, RI 02905

How can I report an abandoned vehicle?

Call the Providence Police Department or file a report online. You’ll need to provide:

  • The exact location
  • Vehicle make
  • Vehicle model
  • License plate information (if any)
Where can I obtain tax information?

For assessment or valuation information, contact the Tax Assessor’s office.

For city tax payment information contact the Tax Collector’s office.

How can I obtain deed information about a property?

You can search the City’s on-line database of land evidence documents from August 1, 2004 to the present. There is no cost to view these documents, although there is a charge to print copies. You can also call or visit the Recorder of Deeds Office at:

25 Dorrance St., 5th Flr.
Providence, RI 02903

How can I obtain an entertainment license?

The quickest way to obtain a license is to use the online application provided by the the Board of Licenses.  You can also call or visit the Board of Licenses to learn about the requirements or to pick up an application. Completed applications should be submitted to the following address:

Board of Licenses
25 Dorrance St., 1st flr.
Providence, RI 02903

If you’re a business owner, read why the Mayor wants you to use this online service for applying for all business related licenses.

How can I make a complaint about rats?

You can find guidelines for rodent control online.  To file a complaint, you’ll need to contact Department of Public Works, Environmental Division at 401-467-7950,  or you can call 311.

How can I apply for a city position?

A listing of all city job postings can be found online. If you see a job that interests you, download and complete an employment application and submit it to:

City of Providence Human Resources
25 Dorrance Street, 4th Flr.
Providence, RI 02903

What happens if I miss my trash pick up day?

You can find information about all refuse pick up here, including information about the holiday pick up schedule, recycling, free bulky item pick up, and yard refuse schedules in Spring, Summer and Fall.  But if you miss your trash pick up day, call Waste Management at 800-972-4545.

How do I receive information about meetings at City Hall?

Information for all the public meetings at City Hall can be found on the open meetings portal.  Where you can see the calendar for all upcoming meetings, view meeting agendas, and access past meeting minutes and recordings. 

Why isn’t my street plowed?

Click Here for the City of Providence “Snow Ready” page which has information on how the city determines which streets to plow first and how garbage collection works during a snow storm.

When will my street be swept?

Click Here for the schedule of when street sweepings will take place by Ward.

Accessibility Options
Skip To Menu
Skip To Content
Skip To Accessibility Options