Councilman Samuel Zurier
Councilman Zurier has been a member of the City Council since 2010. He represents the constituents of Ward 2, which includes the neighborhoods of Blackstone, College Hill and Wayland. He currently serves as Chair of the Claims Committee and Vice-Chair of the Education Committee.
Education & Professional Experience
Born and raised on the East Side of Providence, Councilman Zurier graduated from Classical High School, and received a B.S. in Mathematics from Yale University. He holds a Master’s Degree in Politics, Philosophy & Economics from Oxford University, and earned his Juris Doctorate from Yale Law School. He is also a Rhodes Scholarship recipient (1982). A practicing attorney, Councilman Zurier has been engaged in private practice in Rhode Island since 1990.
Councilman Zurier’s professional memberships include:
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Rhode Island Bar Foundation.
- Adjunct Professor, Roger Williams Law School (2008-2009)
Civic Interests & Leadership
During his tenure on the Council, Councilman Zurier has been an advocate for quality public education and has been a leader on fiscal policy issues. He helped create the Special Commission to Study Property Tax Revaluation and was chosen as its Chairman. Councilman Zurier has also been:
- Chairman, Bond Study Commission
- Chairmain, Subcommittee on Tax-Exempt Institutions
- Vice-Chairman, Commission to Study Diversity and Equity in City Employment
- Member, Commission on Revenue, Sustainability, and Efficiency
- Member, Revenue Study Commission
An advocate for quality public education, Councilman Zurier served on the Providence School Board (2000-2002) and has been a member of various committees for Providence Public Schools, including:
- The Nathan Bishop Planning Committee (2006-present)
- The Superintendent Search Committee (2005)
- The Aramark Scholarship Committee (2006-2007)
He also helped found the Classical High School Alumni Association.
Additional Civic Affiliations & Accolades
- Leadership Rhode Island (Omega Class, 2004)
- Past President, Jewish Family Service;
- Member, Board of Directors, Jewish Federation of Rhode Island and Temple Beth El
- Recipient, Hassenfeld Award for Community Service (1995)
Zurier returned to the East Side in 1990 to raise a family and build a career; and he continues living there today with his wife, Lauren. They have three children, Rachel, Hannah and Joseph, all of whom graduated from the Providence Public Schools.
Councilman Zurier enjoys spending his free time jogging, bicycling, and reading.
- Claims Committee (Chairman)
- Education Committee (Vice Chairman)
- Special Committee on Education (Chairman)
- Subcommittee on Pension Sustainability (Vice Chairman)