Councilwoman Jo-Ann Ryan
Councilwoman Jo-Ann Ryan was elected to the City Council in 2014. She currently serves as Majority Leader and represents the residents of Ward 5, which includes the neighborhoods of Elmhurst, Mt. Pleasant and Manton. Councilwoman Ryan serves as Chair of the Municipal Operations and Oversight Committee.
Interests & Leadership
Councilwoman Ryan’s legislative focus has been on promoting fiscal responsibility, economic development, and tax reform. She is a strong advocate for environmental protection issues. In addition, she addresses quality of life issues for residents through community policing, public education, parks, recreation, traffic control programs and community engagement projects.
Some of her accomplishments include:
– Established the Armand E. Batastini Jr. Recreation Center to provide quality safe after-school programming for area youth
– Established the Mt. Pleasant High School baseball field and facility improvements
– Revitalized Viscolosi Park, Mount Pleasant Park, Pleasant Valley Parkway and Mt. Pleasant Library
– Supports the development of the Mt. Pleasant High School music program
– Established citywide nuisance and traffic control program
Councilwoman Ryan coordinates numerous community activities with Friends of Pleasant Valley Parkway, Friends of Viscolosi Park, Friends of Trinity Parkway, Providence College Urban Action to enhance community green space. She regularly participates in the Providence Neighborhood Planting Program. She is a team sponsor for the Elmhurst and Mt. Pleasant Little Leagues and was instrumental in establishing several new businesses and supporting existing businesses in Ward 5. She was the past Chairwoman of the Providence St. Patrick’s Day Parade Committee. She served as vice chair of the City Planning Commission prior to her election as Councilwoman.
Education & Professional Experience
Councilwoman Ryan brings over 30 years experience in the Rhode Island financial industry and a MBA to her Council role. Currently, she is Vice President, Residential Mortgage Lending at Customers Bank. She previously served in senior management roles in program compliance, corporate communication and asset product management at Rhode Island Housing and Mortgage Finance Corporation, Old Stone Bank and Rhode Island Hospital Trust National Bank. Her programs designed to help working families buy and keep affordable homes and her initiatives promoting management innovation have won national industry best practice awards.
Councilwoman Ryan and her husband, Attorney Thomas J. Ryan are active members of their community. They are members of St. Pius V Church. They are the proud parents of two adult children, Attorney Brendan F. Ryan and Megan F. Ryan, MBA, TCRG.
- Committee on Municipal Operations and Oversight (Chairwoman)
- Committee on Finance
- Committee on Ordinances
- Committee on Public Works
- Committee on Urban Redevelopment, Renewal and Planning
- Committee on Public Property
- Committee on State Legislative Affairs
For a full list of Councilwoman Jo-Ann Ryan’s press releases: Click here.